Massachusetts man accused of killing black man in “road rage” incident in Belmont now faces murder charge; Suspect shouted racial slurs at victim, officials say


The Massachusetts man accused of shouting racial slurs at a black man during what authorities called a ‘road rage’ incident in Belmont now faces murder charges after authorities say he ‘he fatally struck the victim with his truck during the incident.

Middlesex District Attorney’s Office officials said Dean Kapsalis of Hudson, 54, had been charged with murder in the murder of Henri Tapia, 34 years old.

Kapsalis was originally charged last week with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, a civil rights violation causing injury and having left the scene of an accident causing bodily harm in connection with Tapia’s January 19 murder, according to the district attorney’s office.

The Hudson man will now face additional charges of murder and leaving the scene causing the death, the district attorney’s office said in a statement.

Kapsalis was arraigned on the new charges virtually Monday in Cambridge District Court, the statement said. Judge Ina Howard-Hogan has ordered that Kapsalis be held without bail and have no contact with the victim’s family or any witnesses in the case, the statement said.

Belmont Police received a call shortly after 4:20 p.m. on January 19 about a man who was hit by a car on Upland Road, authorities said.

When the police arrived at the scene, they found Tapia conscious but seriously injured. The Boston man suffered life-threatening injuries and received emergency medical treatment before being taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he died of his injuries, officials said.

An investigation into the incident revealed that the two were arguing on the pavement when Kapsalis, according to Ryan’s office, started shouting racist slurs at Tapia.

As Tapia returned to his car, Kapsalis is accused of getting into his Dodge Dakota, driving the van to Tapia and dragging the man a short distance before leaving, according to the office of the prosecutor.

The district attorney’s office said Kapsalis surrendered after police began searching for his truck.

The next hearing date in the Kapsalis case is scheduled for March 1, according to the authorities.

Associated content:


About Johnnie Gross

Check Also

Abandoned $ 1.6 billion Missouri resort community goes viral

[ad_1] It is spookier than a haunted house – and much more expensive! A ghost …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.